restore patient's health
rare genetic diseases such as Friedreich’s ataxia
Business for good / Accountability / Team-up
Science : Involved & Commited
We develop a Gene therapy product to re-establish the function of a defective protein in Friedreich ataxia Patients.
Biointaxis creates significant value at the early stages of product development (R&D), Pre-clinical (proof-of-concept and regulatory) and early clinical trials (Phase I/II). We aim to license the production and distribution rights to Pharma partners equipped with a reputation. Biointaxis is an academic spin-off company benefiting from extensive know-how in the identification of genes and mechanisms underlying neurodegenerative disorders. As shown in the table below our the leading candidate is a gene therapy product for the treatment of Friedreich Ataxia.
Biointaxis is an academic Biotech spin-off recently created from the Health Sciences Research Institute Germans Trias i Pujol (IGTP) located in Badalona, Barcelona.
The team is led by Dr. Matilla and Dr. Sánchez both pioneers in the identification of ataxia genes and research in neurodegenerative disorders.
We are currently developing a gene therapy treatment for Friedreich´s ataxia, a rare inherited, progressive, neurodegenerative disease that typically affects teenagers and young adults. Our research shows efficacy of the treatment being able to re-establish the neurological functions in mice models of Friedreich´s ataxia.
We develop life-changing treatments for rare genetic diseases such as Friedreich’s ataxia.
Management & Advisory Board
Antoni Matilla Dueñas Ph.D.CEO & Co Founder
* Head of the Translational Functional Neurogenetics Unit of the Germans Trias i Pujol Research Institute (IGTP)
Ivelisse Sánchez Ph.D.Scientific Director & Co Founder
* Principal Investigator and co-Director Laboratory of Functional Biology and Experimental Therapies in Neurosciences (IGTP)
Jaime MelendoBoard Member & Co Founder
* 32 year expertise in Pharma and Biotech. CEO and shareholder of Gentec Pharmaceutical Group.
Daniel PérezChief Financial Officer
* 11 years as Finance Director in Gentec Pharmaceutical Group.
Luis Ruiz Avila Ph.D.Senior Business Advisor
* 17 years experience as CEO in Biotech.
Miguel Chillón Ph.D.Scientific Advisor
* ICREA Professor with 23 years of experience in gene therapy strategies using AAV viral vectors in vivo models of human diseases